A mattress is a necessary and comfortable thing for a bed. However, it is not always used for its intended purpose. For example, a romantic breakfast is often arranged on it or a snack is eaten while watching TV. And small children love to play on a soft and wide surface. After all these occupations, cleaning the mattresses usually becomes a regular activity.
How to Clean a Mattress at Home
It is easier to remove fresh liquid stains from the mattress. Getting rid of such dirt will require minimum effort and money. It is enough to adhere to a simple algorithm, which is the following:
- Immediately place several layers of tissue paper on the spilled liquid, press down, and leave for a few minutes.
- Remove the napkins and then soak the remaining stains with cleaning supplies. As a rule, stains are removed with soda, borax, table vinegar, and liquid detergents. Depending on how old the stain is, the cleaning product should remain on the mattress from 20 minutes to 2 hours.
- The dried cleaning agent containing the absorbed liquid is removed from the surface with a vacuum cleaner.
So that cleaning the mattress does not create problems and complications for health, you must follow the safety rules when carrying out this procedure. They are the following:
- Regardless of the cleaning agent chosen, it is necessary to wear gloves. In a case of prolonged contact with sensitive skin, even baking soda can cause allergies and skin rashes.
- When working with liquid detergents or concentrated vinegar, it is advisable to open the window, ensuring the constant circulation of running air.
How to Remove Stubborn Stains from Your Mattress
The liquid that forms dried old stains is deeply absorbed into the mattress and penetrates into the fibers of the fabric and filler. In such cases, the process of cleaning mattresses at home may require special products purchased from a store. In this case, the algorithm of actions will be a little bit different:
- Using a damp sponge dipped in cold water and applied to the yellow spot for a few minutes, soak the dirt. Do not soak the sponge in hot water, as it will only fix the dirt.
- To remove the stain from the mattress, you will need baking soda, table vinegar, 3% hydrogen peroxide, and some detergent. Place a cloth dipped in vinegar on the soaked spot and leave it there until it becomes dry. Remove the cloth, and then cover the stain with a thin, even layer (2-3 cm) of baking soda, including the edges of the stain.
- Pour 200 ml of liquid into a spray bottle (add 100 ml of hydrogen peroxide with water, 1 teaspoon of liquid dish soap) of room temperature and spray over the surface of the stain.
- Leave the formed foam for 2-3 hours (depending on the age of the stain).
- Remove powder residues with a vacuum cleaner.
How to Clean Blood Stains from a Mattress
Fresh blood stains can be removed from the mattress with a solution of water, soda, and salt. With the resulting solution, you just need to wipe the surface. However, the blood quickly coagulates and dries firmly to the tissue. A pasty mixture of starch and hydrogen peroxide is applied to white or light upholstery. Replacing hydrogen peroxide with an equal amount of pure water, apply such a paste to dark tissues with blood stains. After the paste dries, grains of starch are swept away.
How to Clean Urine from a Mattress
It is not very difficult to get rid of fresh urine. Immediately after the stain appears, it is enough to put several layers of napkins or blotting paper and press it well. A significant part of the moisture will be absorbed into the napkin. The remaining baby urine dries well, leaving no odors. Breathable modern mattress models fully demonstrate this effect.
In all other cases, in order to remove the urine stain from the mattress, after applying paper towels, you can wipe the stain with the following mixture:
- 1 tbsp of table vinegar.
- 1 tsp of dish detergent.
- 1 tsp of cold water.
- 2 drops of disinfectant containing active chlorine. The agent is added only when the pet’s urine gets on the mattress.
A small amount of liquid in the cleaning composition makes it possible to use the mixture for the cleaning of mattresses with cotton filling.
How to Remove Stubborn Urine and Odor from Your Mattress
Busy mothers often do not have the opportunity to immediately remove the urine of their naughty child. But over time, it becomes more difficult to clean the mattress. The liquid penetrates deeply into the filler, leaving ugly spots on the surface. In such cases, try one of the following methods to remove the urine stain:
- Dilute liquid soap with a little water. While doing this, beat the soap mixture constantly until thick and persistent foam forms. Collect the resulting foam and apply it to the stain. Within 30 minutes, the foam will gradually settle and clean the dirt. After the foam dries, wipe the stain with clean water. This compound can be used to clean cotton-filled mattresses.
- Crush an aspirin tablet and pour the powder into 1 liter of water to wipe off the dirt.
Also, you can use the following methods:
- Moisten the fabric and rub well with laundry soap. After 2 hours, wash off the soap with a weak vinegar solution. Then wipe it with clean water.
- Mattresses with dark upholstery are wiped with a solution of water and liquid iodine (20 drops per liter of water).
The Subtleties of Cleaning Different Types of Mattresses
Usually, manufacturers indicate (using symbols or text) the acceptable cleaning agents and treatment methods that can be applied if necessary. Ways of cleaning the product depend on the model of a mattress. Pay attention to the following:
- Cotton wool is a very hygroscopic material. It even absorbs water vapor well. Therefore, when cleaning, use the minimum recommended amount of liquid. When wet, such products take a long time to dry. Sometimes a hairdryer is needed to dry them.
- Product filled with coconut coir. These natural filled mattresses are often purchased by parents for newborns and young children. The products almost do not absorb liquid and odors, since coconut fibers have very low hygroscopicity. And excellent water permeability ensures quick drying after any kind of cleaning.
- Orthopedic mattresses are best dry cleaned or wetted with liquid only on the surface layer of products. It happens because here are spring (metal) blocks that create an elastic and rigid surface. With regular contact with moisture, these parts rust, shortening the life of the entire product.
As a rule, in cities, there is a whole network of special companies that help with cleaning. And the easiest way is to dry-clean the mattress. This is especially useful for large or persistent stains. They have modern equipment and effective cleaning agents for high-quality treatment and disinfection of mattresses.